Did you know that I am a scifi fan from way back? My husband calls himself a scifi nerd, lol, and now my children are fond of many scifi programs. My oldest son is now Darth Vader’s biggest fan and has surpassed his dad! So it seems we are a bunch of nerds. I can certainly say I’m an art nerd and have many friends with the same designation. I made a few backgrounds recently with watercolor paper and Arteza Real Brush Pens and have used one today to create an outer space feminine card. If you are reading me from your email and want to download the pdf tutorial, just click here to come over to the post on my blog and download it from here.
Outer Space Feminine card
Measurements for this Project
This project features a technique background with a bit of coloring as well.
I’ve had a fun play with creating a few watercolor ink smooshing panels using my Arteza Real Brush Pens. These fun pens/markers contain water based fluid that are great for watercoloring and playful techniques. The background was not meant to look like a galaxy but it ended up really looking fit for an outer space feminine card.
The character from Kindred Stamps’ Next Space Explorers is colored with Copic Markers and placed over a vellum die cut from The Stamp Market’s Botanical Beauty. It may not show up well on camera but there is a coating of clear Wink of Stella on the vellum. I stamped the sentiment with Dahlia Turnabout from Concord & 9th. If you are new to cardmaking, this project will help you learn to incorporate a new technique into your projects. Use this method to carry over into many more crafting projects and it will be a new go-to easy design.
Here is a video demonstrating the ink smooshing technique for the background with Arteza Real Brush Pens.
Step by Step Instructions
- Begin by creating the card base from heavy white cardstock cut to 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″, fold and score at the 4 1/4″ mark.
- Create the ink smooshing technique as follows: Use a non-porous surface such as freezer paper or the Waffle Flower Water Media Mat. Scribble a few Arteza Real Brush Pens onto the surface, then spray with a little water to dilute. Dip the watercolor paper into the fluid a few times, then allow to dry (or dry with heat tool). Reapply the paper to the fluid as many times as you like, to achieve the desired look. This project used colors: A117 Arctic Blue, A103 Royal Blue, A105 Lemon Yellow and seemed to get in a hint of pink as well.
- After the panel is completely dry, die cut with a stitched rectangle die.
- Place the panel in a stamp positioning tool (I used a Mini MISTI) and stamp the greeting from Concord & 9th’s Dahlia Turnabout stamp set with Hero Arts’ Soft Granite ink. Then use a pencil or black pen to enhance the left side of the greeting to give it a dimensional look.
- Create a die cut using The Stamp Market’s Botanical Beauty die from vellum paper. The inner portion of the leaves will be cut away, keep them in order to pop them back into place on some of the sections.
- Coat the pieces with Clear Wink of Stella and allow to dry.
- Stamp the female character from Kindred Stamps’ Next Space Explorers stamp set with Memento Tuxedo Black on heavy white cardstock. I used Copic markers in these colors: (clothes)-RV11, V01, (hair)-E37, E47, E33, (skin)-E43, E30, E33.
- Attach the panel to the card base with double sided foam tape, then adhere the vellum die cut with liquid glue. Place and adhere the fussy cut character over the die cut with double sided foam tape as well.
- Place a few sparkly sequins in the design.
Here is a FREE PDF tutorial for this project! Click below to view and download.
Links are provided below for your information and for purchase. You may purchase products, via a link or in my store, that allow me a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks for your support!
——— S U P P L I E S ———
• The Next Space Explorers – Kindred Stamps ——— https://ldli.co/e/71g3e9
• Ranger Ink – Simon Hurley – 8.5 x 11 Cardstock – Stark White – 10 Sheets ——— https://ldli.co/e/nd134o
• Tsukineko – Memento – Fade Resistant Dye Ink Pad – Tuxedo Black ——— https://ldli.co/e/6x6yod
• Mini MISTI – Most Incredible Stamp Tool Invented ——— https://ldli.co/e/g5mz9y
• My Sweet Petunia – MISTI – Grid Paper Pad – Mini ——— https://ldli.co/e/0ed4g5
• Too Corporation – Copic Ciao – Dual Tip Markers – 36 Piece Set ——— https://ldli.co/e/4m7y5n
• Real Brush Pens – Set of 48 – Arteza.com ——— https://ldli.co/e/2m934x
• Strathmore – 9 x 12 Watercolor Paper Pad – 12 Sheets ——— https://ldli.co/e/5ln430
• Waffle Flower Crafts – Water Media Mat ——— https://ldli.co/e/3mk32d
• Ranger Ink – Tim Holtz – Distress Sprayer – 2 Ounces ——— https://ldli.co/e/m1x3oo
• Lawn Fawn – Lawn Cuts – Dies – Large Stitched Rectangle Stackables ——— https://ldli.co/e/ep5ed5
• Nuvo – Glue Pen – Smooth Precision ——— https://ldli.co/e/qk943l
• Hero Arts – Layering Paper – Classic Vellum – 10 Pack ——— https://ldli.co/e/jmjon9
• The Stamp Market – Dies – Botanical Beauty ——— https://ldli.co/e/y0232x
• Crafter’s Companion – Gemini Jr. – Die-Cutting and Embossing Machine ——— https://ldli.co/e/p9zgz3
• Crafter’s Companion – Gemini Jr – Cutting Plate – Clear ——— https://ldli.co/e/r7kgkr
• Tonic Studios – Tim Holtz – 8.5 Inch Comfort Trimmer ——— https://ldli.co/e/ozdqdq
• Elmer’s – Craft Bond – Foam Mounting Tape – Permanent ——— https://ldli.co/e/lxlqlo
• Tombow – Mono Adhesive (Permanent) Dispenser – New Style ——— https://ldli.co/e/xj4r4o
• 28 Lilac Lane – Premium Sequins – Marshmallow ——— https://ldli.co/e/1mz3z6
• EK Success – EK Tools – Craft Tweezers ——— https://ldli.co/e/dj2e2d
Product list made with LinkDeli – https://linkdeli.com/e/m9ey7d
Having more ways to create a focal point on your project can make a project work for you. I hope you like this project and will come back to visit often! Thanks for stopping by today.
YOUR Independent Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator
Tutorials Available Now